An ideal fit for solo musicians and podcasters, as well as a terrific entry point into the world of audio for video and sound design, the black Zoom H1n portable recorder features an onboard stereo microphone that lets you easily record two tracks of high-resolution audio in the palm of your hand. Songwriters will appreciate unlimited overdubbing for building songs layer by layer, while filmmakers and podcast producers will enjoy the H1n’s ability to capture clean, distortion-free speech.
Like other H-Series Handy recorders such as the H5 and H6, you can hold it in your hand, attach it to a mic stand or tripod, or mount it to a camera (shoe mount available separately). Springing from the foundation of the original H1, the H1n packs an array of workflow and performance upgrades into a rugged body that’s more than ready to meet the varied demands of videographers, musical artists, podcasters, and more. From its plentiful battery life to its multiple audio-enhancing functions, the H1n is well equipped for tracking live performances, rehearsals, and demos, or for recording sound effects, interviews, and ambience. It can supply plug-in power for a condenser lavalier mic, or accept a direct line-level connection from a mixer or wireless receiver. No matter the source, selectable auto-recording and pre-recording ensure that you’ll never miss the start of a take.
What’s New on the H1n
- Operability is simplified via one-touch buttons, a dedicated gain dial, and an improved display.
- A built-in limiter protects against distortion caused by overloads.
- Auto-record, pre-record, and self-timer functions enhance your workflow and prevent cutting off the start of recordings.
- Unlimited overdubbing allows layering new performances on an existing recording.
- Playback speed is adjustable for transcribing, studying, and learning pieces of music or quickly scanning through long takes.
- An integrated tone generator makes it easy to calibrate your H1n and camera audio levels.
- Two AAA batteries (alkaline, NiMH, or lithium) can power the H1n, whereas the H1 utilized one alkaline or NiMH AA battery.
- Additional protection around the microphones inhibits extraneous noises caused by physical contact with the capsules.
Simple Layout of Common Controls
The H1n’s front panel is arranged to ensure simple, straightforward access to its most commonly used controls—transport buttons for record, play/pause, stop, back, and forward operations, one-touch buttons for the low-cut filter, limiter, and auto-level functions, and a large gain knob (clearly labeled from 0 to 10). Of course, the selectable Auto Level mode makes setup even faster by automatically adjusting the input level according to the input signal.
For added safety, the power switch offers a hold position that disables all front-panel buttons to prevent accidental operation during recording. Day or night, view vital information such as audio levels, recording time, battery status, and more on the 1.25″ monochrome backlit LCD.
Onboard Stereo Microphone
3.5mm Microphone/Line Input with Plug-In Power
Powered via AAA Batteries or AC Adapter
Rugged and Portable, Handheld or Mounted
Signal Processing Adds Sonic Polish
Special Recording Functions
Tone Generator for Calibrating Levels
Overdub Unlimited Layers
microSD Card Recording and Audio Interface Functionality
Maximize portability by recording directly to a separately available microSD/microSDHC card (up to 32GB capacity). A 4GB card will yield approximately over six hours of 16-bit / 44.1 kHz stereo recording time using the BWF-compliant WAV format for uncompressed audio quality and industry-standard file compatibility.
Alternatively, use the H1n as a 2-in/2-out USB 2.0 audio interface at up to 16-bit / 48 kHz. The USB port also enables the H1n to be used as a card reader for fast file transfers.
3.5mm Output for Hookup to a Camera or Headphones
In the Box
- Zoom H1n 2-Input / 2-Track Portable Handy Recorder with Onboard X/Y Microphone
- Limited 1-Year Warranty